Friday 17 April 2015

Wine Watanabe; For wine lovers this might be a go-to place













Area:  about 400m east of Sakae station 栄駅
Restaurant:  Wine Watanabe  ワイン渡辺
Website and Info:  http://www.c-food.jp/wine-watanabe/

Hours:  Lunch 12-2pm, Dinner 5pm-12am (2am on Fri, Sat and holidays)



This is a standing bar only; well, there are seats, but they are those super uncomfortable bars that you just lean against.  I opted to order an appetizer dish (instead of the plate lunch) because there was a foie gras terrine (\850).  Upon first bite, which melted in my mouth immediately, I wanted a wine!  I asked for a wine pairing suggestion, and the waiter had to go ask someone.  I was   recommended a full-bodied red from Italy (\600).  It indeed match; I was expecting a sweet white to be recommended so I was a little surprised, but it went well.  Even with the slightly sour and sweet haskap sauce.  Then I thought I should try something else, so I went for the carrot salad (\450).  The ajillo sort of caught my eye, but ajillo tends to taste the same everywhere (salty olive oil).  The carrot's marinade was sweet, with no vinegar used, almost like a mild honey (there was no liquid at all).  Almond slices and raisins went well.  The accompanying greens were dressed lightly with oil.

The music playing, Ella Fitzgerald's version of Tennessee waltz, and other adult oldie contemporary songs matched the restaurant's aura.  

No comments:

Post a Comment