Monday 18 November 2013

My image of risotto in Japan has changed





Area: 5-min walk north east of Nagoya Station (4th floor of Suntown サンタウン名駅)
Restaurant: Butterfly Cafe バタフライカフェ
Website and map: http://www.butterfly-cafe.com/info/index.html

Hours: Lunch 11:30 - 2pm, Dinner 5pm - 1am (LO 12:30)

There are 3 courses to choose from, all include a self-service drink bar, a main dish with salad, and a dessert plate.  The 1500円 lunch is maybe a bit more rich, and for 200円 more you can choose steak, the 2200円 course includes pasta/risotto AND a main dish.  I, however, went for the cheapest 1000円 course but was satisfied with my choice.

It was my first time having risotto in Japan since I thought using Japanese rice would come out a soggy, sticky mess, but it actually had bite, leading me to believe perhaps it was arborio rice (although arborio is expensive here, so I'm not really sure).  This risotto was a Japanese flavored, stewed beef and hakusai cream sauce dish.  It was sweet, almost as if it were a sweet potato cream (I'm still not sure exactly what it was), but whatever it was, I quite enjoyed it.  The salad was regular and needed more dressing.  I could have used without the little cup of vinegary veggies and pork.  The veggies were fine, but the pork's large chunks of fat does not go well when served in a cold dish such as this.  The baguette...was it made 2 or 3 days ago?  That's how I felt about the bread.

The dessert was pretty and nice to look at.  I liked the berry mousse, the coffee pudding, and the grapefruit jelly.  The vanilla ice cream should have been served beside the tasteless chiffon cake though.

Looking around, it seems like this would be a good place to bring girlfriends and chat over lunch. If you bring a guy, he might get angry at you for taking him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment