Sunday 24 November 2013

If you don't have enough money to go to Italy, come here for a taste







Area: Fushimi Station 伏見駅 (450m southeast)
Restaurant: Bar Ambrosia バーアンブロージア
Websitehttp://scuolambrosia.com/index.html
Maphttp://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230102/23045582/dtlmap/

Hours: Mon-Wed 10:30am-5:30pm, Thurs 10:30am-9pm, Sat 10:30am-3pm, Closed Sun

This quaint little space seems to be a part of a bigger Italian language and cultural centre.  It felt like went to Italy for an hour, with the non-Japanese staff, and the trattoria atmosphere.  It also helped that all I heard was the beautiful language of Italian being spoken the whole time I was there.

For lunch, you can choose between the panino set (600円) or the pizza set (700円).  Both come with a soup and a drink.  For 100円 extra, you can add a dolce or sweet.  The soup was marvelous, a minestrone soup with lots of vegetables and legumes, cheese and baguette.  The flavours married so well in my mouth.  It reminded me of a ribollita bread soup I had in Italy.

When the panino came, I was a bit disappointed at first.  It was just cold cuts, shredded lettuce and cheese.  But taking a bite into it, there was nothing plain about it.  The cured meat was not something you'd find in your regular grocery store (it had bits of some green vegetable embedded in it).  The olive oil, I'm sure is of good quality, imported from Italy.

For my drink, I had a cappuccino, the perfect ratio of milk, espresso and foam....and cuteness (heart coffee art an all).  The dessert was just a delight.  It's apparently call budino, a pudding that's made with the addition of flour making it a little more richer and heavier.  It was like eating the inside of a molten chocolate cake, but chilled.  I really would like to know how to make this delectable dessert.  For just 100円 I wish I asked for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment