Saturday 19 October 2013

This hamburger is definitely not a hamburGu


Area: Nagoya Station, Takashimaya department store 8F
Restaurant: Louis Hamburger and Cafe ハンバーガー&カフェルイス
Website and Infohttp://www.jr-takashimaya.co.jp/cafe2/f_8.html

It seems a little weird to me to have a burger joint in a high class department store like Takashimaya.  But maybe that's how hamburgers are viewed here; it is more rare to find a burger (bun and all) in Japan.

I was craving a good ol' homestyle burger, so I ordered the classic (980円).  It comes with fries and coleslaw on the side.  I was happy to find that this restaurant doesn't just take the loved Japanese burger patty and put it inside a bun.  Those patties sold in restaurants are tasty, but they are too saucy and soft to make into a hamburger in my my opinion (see previous post about Layer's Hamburgers).  This cafe's meat has got it right; slightly crispiness on the outside and juicy inside, and the toasted bun is dense enough to stand up to the burger's juices.

Being in Japan, the topping is of course mayonnaise (they love it here).  Although they brought ketcup, I had to ask for mustard on the side.  I wanted relish too, but I wasn't sure if that was asking too much, and there was a pickle on the side anyways.

I'll definitely come back when I'm wanting an actual hamburger (not a hamburGU, the name for patty only).  

No comments:

Post a Comment