Friday 18 October 2013

How do they do it??


Area: Passe 7F  (Kintetsu building at Nagoya Station 近鉄パッセ)
Restaurant: Pancake Days パンケーキデイズ
Website and Infohttp://www.pancakedays.jp/shop/nagoya/

This shop is superbly busy on holidays and weekends at both lunch time and snack time, so if you don't want to wait in line, I suggest going on a weekend.  The nice thing is that you can order sweet or savory dishes regardless of the time.  I was here for lunch so I chose the Avocado and Shrimp wasabi mayo pancake set (980円, drink included).  I was torn between this and the Croque Monsieur pancake (3 pancakes with ham, slathered in cheese sauce), but I asked the waiter and she said the avocado was more popular.  It was a good choice.

I've never seen such perfectly round and grilled pancakes before except in Japan.  The color and texture is so uniform; there are no big holes or burn marks (except for the smiley face) on this pancake.  I don't know how they do it!  The big chunks of creamy avocado and wasabi mayo go surprisingly well with the buttery pancake.  It's buttery in flavor only, it's not greasy at all.  They must mix the butter into the batter before grilling it.

For the drink, I chose the maple milk.  It's very mildly sweet, and of course the maple flavoring pairs perfectly with the pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment