Monday 2 December 2013

The sign reads 'since 1997', but could be 1930 in my mind





Area: About 300m west of Fushimi station 伏見駅
Restaurant: Nov. Cafe ノブカフェ
Websitehttp://www.kkan.net/hidehiko_mizuno/9904Magreb/nov_cafe.html
Maphttp://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230102/23007099/dtlmap/

Hours: 9am-11pm, Lunch plate 11:30am-2pm

I came before 2pm, but disappointingly the lunch plate was already finished for the day.  However, the coffee bartender said he could make me a sandwich lunch that included salad, soup, a drink and dessert, so I went for that.  The sandwich of the day was fried onion with smoked salmon.  I'm kind of glad the lunch plate was over since this sandwich was a delight!  The bread and onions were key factors in this realization.  Not too dense, and not too light, the bun was perfect with salmon and slightly sweet fried onion.

The small cake that came with the nicely brewed coffee was also worth mentioning.  It was a pistachio/almond (but I'm betting on pistachio since it was green) cake with a sweet lemon glaze.

Being in this cafe feels like you've taken a step back in time.  It's dark, but that's part of what gives it the 1930's atmosphere (not that I'd really know since I wasn't around during those days).  Adding to the effect, the store's phone ring sounds like it does in old movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment