Wednesday 4 December 2013

A chunky hamburger, if you know what I mean





Area:  Fushimi 伏見駅 or Marunouchi station 丸の内駅 (about 5 min from either station)
Restaurant:  Japan Craft Beer & Wine Grillman ジャパンクラフトビアアンドワイングリルマン
Website and map:  http://www.bar-and-restaurant.com/en/grillman.html

Hours: Lunch/cafe 11am-5pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm

Today, again, I went for the simple burger (800円), nothing but the meat, some greens and tomato. I also ordered some chipotle sauce on the side (50円) since this restaurant seems to have a lot of Mexican inspired dishes.

I tend to order the simple burgers first just so that I can taste the meat as opposed to mayo and sauces of such.  This burger patty is different, but in a good and meaty way.  It definitely uses all beef, but the difference is that the meat is kept pretty chunky.  Don't get me wrong, it is still ground meet, but somehow it felt as if I was biting into a soft steak.  It was juicy and exploded with the flavour of meat (which is a good thing in a hamburger!).  The chipotle sauce added a bit of heat and smokiness (I ordered it on the side so I could taste the burger with and without it).  Smokey chipotle does go well with hamburgers I've decided.  I didn't, however, like that the bun was made with a lot of margarine.  A lot of buns in Japan have the strong flavour of margarine, and somehow it doesn't quite match a hamburger.  

The picture makes this place look like a library with the shelf full of books, but it has a bar/ranch feeling to it.  The great thing is that you can enjoy a burger at any odd time of day, not just within Japan's lunch hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment