Sunday 8 March 2015

The Corner Burger: yet another soggy burger (but nice flavors!!)







Area:  about 400m north of Kokusai Center Station 国際センター駅
Restaurant:  The Corner Hamburger & Saloon   ザ コーナーハンバーガー&サルーン
Website and info:  http://saloon-thecorner.com/en/shopinformation/

Hours:  Lunch 11:30am-3pm (LO 2:30pm), Dinner 5:30pm-1am (LO 12:30am), Sundays and Holidays 11:30am-9pm (LO 8:30pm), closed Tues



 I was in the mood to have a hamburger today, which is funny because I never used to have this craving back home.  I guess it's the lack of good hamburger restaurants here that make me feel this way.

This restaurant has a variety of burgers available during dinner hours, but for lunch there is a standard one that you can add toppings to for an extra fee.  I chose a topping of grilled onions.  You can also choose between fries, onion rings or mashed potato.  I guess I was in the onion mood today and chose onion rings.  The meal (¥1000) also comes with a drink and small salad.  The other lunch set is taco rice which is what it sounds like, taco ingredients on top of rice instead of stuffed in a taco.

The burger was so juicy that just picking it up lead to a whole lot of juice seeping out.  The bun, although a fitting flavour, buttery and slightly sweet, definitely could not hold up to this.  The bun immediately went soggy and I had to turn to a fork and knife.  The meat itself was plainly seasoned with just salt and pepper, but with just the right amounts of each.  It was for sure 100% beef.  Onion rings had a slight curry and nutmeg flavor.  The bun had a sauce with a prominent nutmeg flavour but that well with the patty as this is a spice normally added to hamburgers.  Unfortunately I had a leave a mess of soggy bread and onion rings on my plate after the initial spillage of meat juice.  I keep forgetting that in Japan, hamburgers are put in paper bags to avoid this from happening.  The bag which is open on 2 sides makes it easier to hold especially when there are a lot of fillings that might slip out upon biting into the burger.  You can then use your fork to eat those toppings that couldn't stay in the burger.  

No comments:

Post a Comment