Sunday 30 June 2013

Kabuto: Izakaya food is izakaya food!!




Area:  Mei-eki (The FRONT or east side of JR Station)
Restaurant: Kabuto かぶと
Webhttp://www.hotpepper.jp/strJ000989800/

It's a bit difficult to explain where this restaurant is, but it's on the north side of sakura-dori and it looks like an old Japanese house (check out the website I posted).  Surrounding it are CoCo Curry House and Trident School.

Ok, so I took my brother and his wife when they came to visit me in Japan.  It seems to have some Nagoya flavours as well as some new flavours such as the ankake omuraisu (omlette rice, in the top photo), or the fish wrapped in slightly grilled rice (in the background of the 3rd photo).  The 2nd photo shows hanpen (fish cake).

The flavours were all very izakaya-like, delicious and a bit on the salty side to make you drink more!  But in Japan, I find many izakayas to be very similar.  I have yet to say that one izakaya stands out from another.  The Japanese do Japanese flavours well....keyword is CONSISTANTLY.  Please comment if you also find this, or if you have suggestions of an izakaya that stands out!!!
On the other hand, I have considered the possibility that I did not order a dish that blew my mind (izakayas often have extensive menus).

The atmosphere of this place is definitely good for showing off Japan though. The second floor is the traditional low table, floor seating and one can say that the building just `looks Japanese'.  In summer the lower floor is open concept so it's a nice on a slightly cool summer night.

No comments:

Post a Comment