Sunday 12 January 2014

A lot in one space, but a comfortable place to sit










Area: About 50m south of Fushimi station 伏見駅, Exit 3
Restaurant:  QuicPay with Travel Cafe
Website and infohttp://www.travel-cafe.jp/shop/quicpay.html

Hours: Weekdays 8am-10pm, Weekends & Holidays 10am-8pm

I'm not sure what the whole concept of this company is, or exactly what QUICPay is, but this cafe space seems to have 3 stores in one.  There's Mon Cher (famous for their roll cakes), a cellular phone store and the cafe.  I visited twice because the first time I regretted my choice, and because I was craving a creamy dessert the second time around.

The first visit, I had the Kapao Rice bowl (780円) which consisted of ground meat mixed with finely chopped veggies, a lot of sweet basil and way too much salt.  The good thing is that it comes with a salad, and the half-cooked egg runs over the warm rice nicely.  This dish may have been more enjoyable if the salt level was tuned down a little.

The second visit, I had the TC Sando Giusto (Sandwich, 480円).  For 180円 extra, I added a coffee, for 150円 a salad, and for 480円 a roll cake.  The snack-sized sandwich was actually really delicious, although simple.  Using crusty on the outside and soft on the inside pizza dough, it's contents, truffle oil, lettuce and Spanish Serrano ham, gave it a slightly finer dining taste.  The ham, unlike the prosciutto you can find in convenience stores, presents a nice meatier flavour in addition to ham's saltiness.

The salad was simple, with a house dressing made of carrot, onion, and apple blended to a pulp with some other ingredients.  Different, but I came away with a strong onion breath.  It may be better to cook the onion a bit first, and to cut the lettuce to bite-sized pieces and not fist-sized ones (for the record, I can not fit my fist in my mouth).

The famous roll cake has an eggy outer castella cake that has a good density; moist and not too light.  The real attraction is the cream; light, not too sweet, milky in flavour, I could just eat the cream alone!  The coffee's aftertaste was a bit too bitter for my liking, but that was fine since I had a sweet cake to balance that.


No comments:

Post a Comment