Thursday 31 December 2015

Kawabun: paying for the experience, definitely not volume

















Area:  a few blocks east of Marunouchi station
Restaurant:  The Kawabun ザ カワブン ナゴヤ
Website:  http://www.kawabun.jp/en/


This was a very different dining experience.  First of all, it seemed like a place where I'd have to take my shoes off upon entering, but I was instructed that there was no need to.  I was seated in a quiet waiting area with windows facing a garden.  The only sound was of trickling fountain water and the scent of incense filled the room.  Here, I was shown the menu to choose my preferred meal.  I went with the simplest, a vegetarian meal (\1500 plus tax).  I was then shown to a separate room with only counter seating.   I was the only patron there.  The wooden counter, bright lighting and simple decor gave a nature feel and made for a relaxing atmosphere.  .

The chef then began to open a package of tofu.  He carefully spooned it into a bowl and then topped it with something. He also started making miso soup, testing the taste twice.  The waitress, dressed in kimono, was very talkative and began a conversation with me and the chef.  The whole time she was talking with either me or the chef.  

The meal was the silkiest but dense tofu with a chilled mushroom dashi flavored ankake.  The steamed veggies were plain but were meant to be eaten with the miso beans.  Rice was a 5-grain rice. The miso soup was indeed a good balance of housemade (as opposed to the instant stuff)  dashi and miso.

Afterwards, the waitress offered to take me to the same waiting area to drink tea and relax.  Green tea and yuzu kuzumochi is what came, a very nice combo.  Even the shibori (wet hand towel) had a scent of yuzu.  As I was getting pretty sleep in this quiet space, I decided to begin my fairly long walk back to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment