Sunday 1 February 2015

Kalapana: Hawaii + Nagoya combo





Area:  about a 5 min walk northeast from Fushimi Station, Exit 1 伏見駅
Restaurant:  Kalapana  カラパナ
Map and Website:  http://kalapana.info/shop-info

Hours:  Mon-Fri (weekends and holidays are private functions only ) Lunch 11am-3pm (LO 2:30pm), Dinner 5:30-10pm (LO 9:30pm)


 The specialty here is Nagoya ankake pasta mixed with Hawaiian flare, namely spam. There is a huge list to choose from.  Each topping is matched with one of three types of spam; regular, garlic and reduced sodium.  Perhaps being female、the shio koji (salted fermented rice used to tenderize meats and to add a healthy sodium to dishes) stir fried veggies enticed me, so I ordered the Mirakan (¥650).  It came with reduced sodium spam, which really didn't have any meaning since the ankake sauce was so salty.  It did however have nice spicy tang and there was a good char on the noodles (typical of yakisoba).  I'm not sure how to explain the flavor of the sauce, but I feel like it's made from a beef consommé and tomato sauce mix, seasoned with hot sauce and pepper, then thickened with a starch and water mixture.

The drink bar included flavored coffee and all you can eat kakikori.  I've never been to Hawaii before, but at all the Hawaiian restaurants in Japan, the coffee seems to be flavored.  It reminded me of the Starbucks or Second Cups back home where there are flavors such as Irish cream, mocha and hazelnut.

For volume and Hawaiian flare I might come back to this restaurant, but only if I'm prepared to get really thirsty after, due to the saltiness.  Next time the plate lunch might be better (but there are only 10 every day so I'd have to get there early!).

No comments:

Post a Comment