Thursday 1 January 2015

Bistro Daurade: House-cured meats stand out here










Area:  about 500m south east of Fushimi Station 伏見駅
Restaurant:  Bistro Daurade  ビストロ ドラード
Website and info:http://www.daurade.jp/index.html
Map:  http://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230102/23029870/dtlmap/?lid=tocoupon2

Hours: Lunch 11:30am-2pm, Dinner 6-10:30pm, closed Sun

Today I went for the slightly more expensive Daurade Lunch (1500 yen).  The difference is just that instead of the vegetable soup as the appetizer, you get to choose from 4 selections.  The chef's salad seemed to be a popular choice, but I was advised that the quiche comes with a salad.  Since I chose the quiche as my main I didn't want to go overboard on eggs and order the omelette appetizer.  The soup takes 15 min to prepare, and on a hot day maybe not so favorable.  I went for the mushroom pate.  It was seasoned very nicely; not too salty at all, allowing the flavor or the mushrooms and liver to be prominent.  The accompanying housemade pickles were only slightly vinegary. Myoga and renkon (lotus root) pickles are definitely something you'd only find in Japan!

The salad alongside the quiche was dressed very lightly.  It was the arugula that gave it punch.  The sausage was mildly spicy, and pretty standard for a sausage (although this thick type of sausage is kind of rare in Japan, so it was nice).  The quiche was a spinach and bacon one.  It had a cookie-like shell, a good texture, but I think I might like a more buttery essence to my quiches.

Playing on the speakers was French folk music, so it felt a bit bistro-like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment