Saturday 1 February 2014

Good coffee starts with a good bean









Area:  about 200m south east of Fushimi station, Exit 4 or 5,  伏見駅 (1st floor of Mont Bran Hotel)
Restaurant:  Cafe Daphne カフェ ダフネ
Website:  http://www.daphne.co.jp/shoplist04.html
Map:  http://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230102/23007507/

Hours: Weekdays 7am-9pm, Weekends 7am-6pm

As I was looking at the menu posted outside, I decided maybe I'll try some BLEAD and a SARAD to go with it.  It's the small things I love about Japan!  Lunch at Cafe Daphne is served until 4pm, but I didn't feel like ankake pasta, or curry rice, so I just ordered from the regular menu.  Apparently the bread is house-made, so I ordered a sandwich to get a taste.  I had the basil chicken sandwich (650円) and added a coffee (plus 250円).  The sandwich came with a good size salad with a gobo (burdock root) and mayo mixture on top to act as dressing (a common flavour you can find anywhere).  The sweet basil mayo in the sandwich went well with the chicken breast meat, and veggies (lettuce, cabbage, carrot).  However, I didn't get a feel that the bread was house-made.  It was flimsy, too light for the heaviness of the ingredients, and it was missing the best part, the crust.

The coffee was very nice with a good acidity and fullness.  The shop does pride itself on their coffee beans, so it's worth it to order a cup of java here.  The atmosphere is a bit like Mitt's Coffee Stand (see previous blogs), except the behind-the-counter area looks more like a night bar.  I'd say the main reason to come here is for their coffee.




No comments:

Post a Comment